This is a blog dedicated to ALL who ride. NimrodsRacing is a local "condition" that is rapidly spreading into a "pandemic"! We are cyclists, some fast, some well-balanced, some (like me) slightly off kilter, pro, cat 5, enthusiasts, and newbies. We cheer for the underdog! We welcome challenges and laugh at adversity. We race because friendship and camaraderie grow through the sweat and struggles placed before us - just kidding, WE ARE NIMRODS!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Over the Hump!

Mark Scott - Over the Hump
Have you ever thought you were good at something and then came to find out you suck? Well, welcome to Over the Hump!, cross country mountain bike series at the Irvine Lake. What a terrific venue and what great sponsors! The atmosphere was awesome. Good people, good beer, good Gawd it hurt! So, to make a long story short...I went out with Mark in the Sport Class (I'm thinking it is only fair that I don't enter beginner because I have a brief history of racing 12 hour and marathon races/rides) So off we go....I'm mid pack (in my class) Mark shoots off ahead, cuz he can, and I catch him at the top of the first climb! (He is caught because he snapped his chain.) He is about 1/4 mile away from the start line so he walks back, gets his chain repaired by the fine folks at Surf City Cyclery, heads out again, catches me, passes me, and finishes 5 minutes ahead of me. Humbling is an understatement. I could not hold the wheel of guys 10 years my senior! All in all the race was bitchen and I can't wait to do it again! Next Tuesday!

No comments: