This is a blog dedicated to ALL who ride. NimrodsRacing is a local "condition" that is rapidly spreading into a "pandemic"! We are cyclists, some fast, some well-balanced, some (like me) slightly off kilter, pro, cat 5, enthusiasts, and newbies. We cheer for the underdog! We welcome challenges and laugh at adversity. We race because friendship and camaraderie grow through the sweat and struggles placed before us - just kidding, WE ARE NIMRODS!

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Injury sets back bicycling - nimrod sidelined


So since October I, Nimzero, (so named after an accident on the fabled FoodPark ride waaayyyy back in June), have been unable to ride with any degree of consistency since the Marathon 50 at Vail Lake. During a commuting ride to work one morning I "jacked" my groin - I was climbing a little incline on the Santa Ana River bike trail and while out of the saddle, on an upstroke, attempted to stretch my abdominal muscles on the left side. No big move, no pain, but subsequent to the motion I felt a lump in my inguinal channel area. I thought nothing of it. (Jump 4 months.) Pain persists. Moves around my lower left abdominal area, groin, iliac crest, an mid and lower back. I think I've got something big, bad, and deadly. I must interject that I did go see the doctor in October and early December - he said, "nothing dangerous, most likely musculoskeletal in nature" take anti-inflammatory and antibiotics for possible infection in the epididimus. Antibiotics? WTF? I guess that is the answer for everything. I took them, no significant change. I donated my junk to technology for a free ultrasound and it was negative for any abnormalities. I can't rest, still thinking I need to write out my last will and testament. (Crazy! 4 months ago I was the poster child of health and happiness.) So, though I promised myself I wouldn't, I began researching the internet for answers, previously the answers were to get my affairs in order...Now I found Grey's Anatomy and I have been looking at the abdominal region muscles and tendons/ligaments and have found multiple possible reasons for my pain - I am now seeing the inside and realizing how much stuff goes on in the groin. Laugh if you must but I am getting close to believing that I have strained the Cremasteric Muscles of the left teste! Okay, you ask what is the Cremastic Muscle - well, when you pinch off a wizz you use the Kegel contraction which causes the junk to rise, the rise is caused by the Cremaster Muscle. It is a thin section of abdominal muscles that form loops that drop into and around the testes. When you suck in you stomach the Cremaster Muscle is activated and draws in your berries. Pretty kewl, huh. So all my suffering, and I must say most was mental but the physical is very real, is as far as I can tell caused by this little group of paperthin muscles! Sucks to be me. Oh, BTW, there is no "cure", just a jockstrap and a prayer and IBU!!!!!! Hope to see you all out riding sooner than later, not that you've missed me or anything....doooooogh!

No comments: